Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Just Try to Grow

To grow is to go beyond what you are today.
stand up as yourself.
do not imitate.
Do not pretend to have achieved your goal, and do not try to cut corners.
Just try to grow.

-Svami Prajnanpad

I discovered this quote recently and thought it to relate quite well to what I'm learning in life right now.
One thing the Lord has been teaching me over the past year of my life and even more so here is the excellence of being a unique person knitted together especially by him. The brilliance in that I am me, and that is a role which no one else can play. I have been given a specific personality, specific gifts, abilities, passions and desires all for a grand divine purpose in this world. This is just so beautiful, yet so often I still view myself as a negative contrast to others. I don't even realize how much I compare myself in a day; always wanting to exchange what God has specifically given me for someone else's personality, abilities, gifts, passion. But the thing is this: Jesus loves us for who we are, not for who we want to be. I need to grow to view myself the way Jesus does and to embrace the fullness of being the person he created me to be. I do not want to grow to be someone I think I should be, I want to grow more to be the person I already am-further in my gifts, abilities, passions and desires. I believe that "to go beyond what you are today" means to take all that you are and push further in it everyday. To strive to be a better you everyday in Jesus. Whatever you’re good at, be excellent. Whatever drives you in life, pursue it. Whoever you are be true to yourself. Just try to grow.

Now on more practical notes in life... here's what I've been up to:

Travels.
Edinburgh, Scotland: Two weeks ago we had our travel weekend and I went to Edinburgh. It was brilliant fun, of course there were mishaps along the way like forgetting my winter coat and bringing the wrong pair of shoes to walk all over Scotland in, but it's all a learning experience right? The first night we were there we went to a pub for Scottish Storytelling, which was such a fun unique experience. Sometimes I cannot believe the things I am getting to see, do, and experience. I mean, how many people get to hear Scottish tales at a hole in the wall pub in Edinburgh?
The second day we did a lot of touristy stuff. I did the Edinburgh castle tour, which was pricey but completely worth my money. The castle is on a giant hill so you get an excellent view of the whole city from the top. Later in the day the guys wanted to watch the football game (football as in soccer) so we all piled in a pub, ordered some grub and watched us some football, although I was personally more intrigued by conversation rather than soccer. Ha, oops.
My last day in Scotland was probably my favorite day. We went to the Sunday morning church service at St. Giles Cathedral, which was another really unique experience. After service I went and had a latte at the Elephant House, the "birthplace of Harry Potter". If I got another chance, I would spend a whole day there drinking coffee and reading a good book. The atmosphere was so cozy and inspirational. After the Elephant House my friend Katie and I went off to eat at a Mexican restaurant we had been dreaming about, which succeeded both of our expectations in full. I miss Mexican food. After lunch we spent the afternoon roaming in and out of fun little shops. I especially loved those along Grassmarket street. They were so artsy fartsy and cute- I could have spent hours rummaging around, studying the different artistic approaches and letting my creative juices flow. The rest of my day was filled with more exploring around the city, a gelato splurge, sitting in Starbucks reading [and falling in love with hibiscus tea], and my last evening in Edinburgh was completed with listening to a fun little group play at a Jazz Bar. I loved experiencing and exploring Edinburgh, and I look forward to more adventures in the world soon!


At the top of the castle
 Beautiful view of the city


 Here it is, friends. 
Harry's beginning.

A little piece of Mexico, all the way in the UK.
And still, delicious. 


Liverpool.
Yesterday I went to Liverpool for the day, also known as the land of the Beatles! I got a sweet Beatles t-shirt and other goodies for people back home. The souvenir shop had a Starbucks connected to it and I finally got to enjoy the satisfaction of a chai and gingerbread latte. It’s my favorite drink of the Holiday season. After we got our coffee we set off to find the Cavern Club, where the Beatles had their first gig ever! It was really fun to look around inside and take pictures. Everyone was giving us funny looks, but I didn’t really care. It’s good to embrace your touristy side. For lunch we went to “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” café. It was so precious…and delicious, too! I ate a ham and cheese “toastie”, which is basically like a grilled sandwich. It was very satisfying. The rest of the day we just walked around and did some shopping and ate an early dinner at another café. It’s always so good for my soul to get out and explore. I love being an explorer. Originally, I really wanted to go to Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane, but it turns out those streets are outside of the city and you have to either take the tour bus or a taxi to get there. So, considering we didn’t have much time we decided we would go back another day to do that. They also had all of their Christmas lights up and I would love to go back and stay later in the evening to experience that. I bet it’s absolutely magical.


 Roommate love. latte love.
I love the little things we discover in life.
 Button Street. 
 Cavern club. The Beatles rocked that stage.
English sunsets = the best.

Other stuff...
School has been going well, but I am getting increasingly more busy with assignments and reading and such. Christmas break will be a much needed time to relax, and it is exactly one month away! I am so excited. I keep thinking of how wonderful it will be to walk through those doors and see my sweet family. It will be a very happy moment in my life. The closer Christmas approaches, the more anxious I am to get home, yet God has purposes for me right here and now and that is something to embrace. 

I mentioned in my last post about the possible opportunity to go to Africa in the spring. Well, I applied and found out a few weeks ago that I am part of the team! My heart is just beaming with excitement and joy. I cannot wait to grow in Jesus there and to love his precious people in Kenya. There are many details that are yet to be worked out with finances and such but I just know God is going to take care of my team and I and provide for us abundantly. This verse in Ephesians has been a great comfort and encouragement to me, "Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen" (Eph. 3:20-21). 

Hopefully I can write another update soon! 

Love to you friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment